Retreat Centers of the Americas - A Real Treat!
But don’t just take our word for it, come and see for yourself!
Besides giving ideal conditions for meditation practice, one thing that all the retreat centers in the Americas have in common is that they unify sangha, both on regional and national levels. They are becoming increasingly important vehicles for unifying across even broader distances, throughout the hemisphere, and hopefully throughout the world. We are ready and excited for your visit; please feel at home. ¡Mi casa es su casa!
Western Retreat Center - California, USA
The Western Retreat Center, located in the mountains of the Central Coast of California, features the “top of the world” views in the setting of acoustical and visual privacy, and supports sustainable, off-the-grid living, in harmony with the natural beauty of the surrounding area. The WRC offers rustic but comfortable conditions for individual or couple retreats, as well as monthly group meditation and work retreats.
- Located in the mountains of Diablo Range, Central Coast of California
- 2.5 hours from San Francisco, 5.5 hours from Los Angeles, 1 hour to nearby town
- 80 acres (32 hectares)
- Features 2 comfortable meditation cabins, indoor gompa and communal space, outdoor kitchen, outdoor showers and toilets
- No electricity, no internet, no phone reception
- Offers rustic but comfortable and focused conditions for individual, couple and group meditation retreats
- Plenty of good water and space to camp, hike and meditate in nature
- Features the “top of the world” views in the setting of acoustical and visual privacy
- Supports sustainable, off-the-grid living, in harmony with the natural beauty of the surrounding area.
Dakini Ranch - Colorado, USA
Dakini Ranch is at an altitude of over 8,900ft. (2,700m), with breathtaking views across the San Luis Valley to the 14,000ft. (4,300m) peaks of the Sangre De Cristo Mountains. The inspiration and beauty of the place are as vast as the land itself, and one truly has the chance to feel the space of mind here.
- Located in San Luis Valley outside of Saguache, Colorado
- 3 hours from Denver, 3 hours from Santa Fe, 5 miles to small town, 45 minutes to 16th Karmapa stupa
- 314 acres (127 hectares) of remote, raw land
- Rustic, off-grid, 3-season cabin with loft
- Large barn with gompa
- Plenty of space to camp, hike, and meditate
- Perfect for small group and personal retreats
- Breathtaking and vast views of the valley and Sangre de Cristo mountains
Heartland Retreat Center - Wisconsin, USA
The joyful group dynamic and freedom of the Heartland Retreat Center are its greatest assets, which expresses our common view that the process is the product. The rolling hills and meditating in front of the life-size 16th Karmapa statue are also quite impressive.
- Centrally located in the “Midwest”, in the Amish countryside of Wisconsin
- 3 hours from Minneapolis, 4 hours from Chicago, 2 hours from Madison, 10 minutes to nearby town
- 87 acres (35 hectares) of forests, hills, and spring-fed creeks
- 2,500 sq ft cabin with beautiful gompa that holds up to 70 people and an inspiring life-size 16th Karmapa statue
- 2 guest bedrooms, 2 resident bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, fully equipped kitchen, socializing space
- Landline phone and wifi in the cabin
- Comfortable conditions for open retreats and group activities
- Both open and secluded areas for camping
- Outdoor sinks and showers
"This place will surely benefit many. Thank you for your wide range of activities." -Lama Ole Nydahl
Northeast Retreat Center - New York, USA
Karma Dondrub Ling, "Place of Accomplishment", rests on a high plateau with 270 degree views of inspiring forested hills. The flat open fields at a high altitude show the freedom of space and allow our mind to see its own potential and richness.
- Located in upstate New York
- 3 hours from NYC, 3.5 hours from Boston, 4 hours from Philadelphia, 1 hour from Albany
- 42 acre (17 hectare) property resting on a high plateau with 270 degree views of inspiring forested hills
- Main house with 420 sq ft gompa, 2 guest bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, full industrial kitchen, laundry room and lounge area
- 450 sq ft dormitory above the garage for larger groups
- Comfortable conditions for open retreats and group activities
- Nearby attractions to enjoy during all seasons
- North America’s newest retreat center (lots of work to do!)
"The nature of mind is beyond birth and death, coming and going and everything, and this is the type of place where you can realize that."
-Lama Ole Nydahl
Karma Palsang Ling - “All Good and Radiant Place” - Villa de Leyva, Colombia
Karma Palsang Ling, the “All Good and Radiant Place” in Villa de Leyva, Colombia appeared with a great transformative force of unity and consensus. In accordance with this principle, it will be the new host site for the annual Americas Course, where people gather from throughout the 10,000 mile (15,000 km) landmass of the Americas.
- Located in Villa de Leyva, Colombia
- 3 hours from Bogota (100 miles / 165 km), 10 km from town
- 18.5 acres (7.5 hectares)
- Easy accessibility, water, and electricity
- Good weather
- Comfortable house with 3 guest bedrooms each with its own bathroom
- 8 water-efficient showers and composting toilets for camping
- Fully equipped kitchen to serve over 700 friends
Karma Dechen Ling - “Land of Highest Bliss” - Lavalleja, Uruguay
- Located in Lavalleja, Uruguay
- 133 acres (54 hectares)
- 3 hours from Montevideo (118 mi / 190 km)
- Surrounded by low hills
- Yogi style with no electricity or network water, requires use of generators and water pumps
- House has 3 bedrooms with 24 beds, kitchen, bathrooms, and a space in the back used to cook during courses
- Beautiful gompa with an inspiring view of the valley
- 2 meditation huts that can be used for retreats
"We have a really interesting place in Uruguay. It’s our meditation center there. It’s probably the oldest area in the world, what concerns the stones lying on the ground and so on. It is an amazing place.
It has really strong influence also on one’s meditation and it’s like an epic, it’s like a saga, the whole place. It’s very, very interesting. If you have any kind of chance, go there, do some meditation, help there, do whatever, but don’t miss it: IT’S AN AMAZING PLACE!”
- Lama Ole
Coming soon . . .
- Texas Retreat Center - Texas, USA